Newport Flower Show
July 8, 2013 § Leave a comment
I spent the last weekend in June visiting the Newport Flower show at Rosecliff for the first time with my Mom and sister. Living in Rhode Island my entire life and in Newport for the past 9 years, I can’t believe I’ve never been to this amazing event about 1 mile from our house.
My sister bought the tickets at the end of last year as a birthday gift for my Mom. Celebrating my Mom’s December 29th birthday in June is pretty nice considering that there’s so much else going on with holidays at the end of the year.
There’s a different theme at the show each year; this one was, Jade: Eastern Obsessions. The flower pieces were incredible. I actually didn’t take many photos because I was so wrapped up in enjoying the moment. While it was just my sister, Mom, and I who attended the show, we enjoyed brunch at Castle Hill beforehand with my Dad, brother-in-law and niece. Kyle was absent, well, sort of. As you’ll see from the photo below, he was just coming in from fishing as we finished eating so we did get to see him – from a far! He could also see us waving from the lawn. After attending the show, we all agreed that the husbands would really appreciate the event too, so we’ll include them next year.
Here’s what you can expect if you attend in the future:
- beautiful and extravagant flower pieces on the back lawn (Bellevue Ave side) with seeds and plants for sale
- even more gorgeous designs inside the mansion
- countless vendors on the front lawn selling really nice clothing, housewares, and food. My Mom, sister, and I each bought a dish towel from a Seattle vendor.
- ample seating and a large tent to provide shade
- a perfect breeze coming off of the bay 🙂
I highly recommend checking out The Newport Flower Show next June; the dates have already been posted, June 27th-29th. Tickets will go on sale early so this might be a nice Christmas gift idea.